Friday, February 14, 2014

Instant Pillow!

This afternoon, I made a cute little pillow. I've been wanting one just this shape and size for the longest time. 
 For some some reason, pillow making is not at the top of my "favorite things to make list" so I have been shopping for one and coming up empty handed. Until yesterday.  When I spied this lovely, grey, appliqued placemat at Target it sparked an idea. I liked the $5 price tag too!
 Folding it in half, I realized that it would look oh, so, cute as a pillow! First, a few pins to keep the sides even and in place.
 Some quick topstitching with grey thread around three sides, leaving an opening for stuffing, took about 1 minute of my time!
 I even had some stuffing on hand, which I'd purchased at Walmart, for another project. I like this product very much as it isn't messy and doesn't bunch up just like the label says.
 Stitching the opening closed after I stuffed the pillow was super easy and quick.
The edge has a sort of "piping" look to it, I think, don't you. I like the way the white flange on the placemat adds some interest to the outside edges of the pillow.
 In a perfect world the bottom of the pillow would have a flange as well. 
 But, once the pillow is propped up against the other larger ones, you hardly even notice the bottom edge.
 Perfect! Just what I had in mind.
Now, tell me, am I the only one that avoids making pillows?

16 comments:

  1. Clever!
    I am sure others avoid them too. I rather like making them as I can experiment without the large-scale commitment of a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to make some new cushions too, so I suppose I do have an avoidance to them! I love what you have done with the placemat! Very clever! And love the manicured nails- very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is sooo cute! I love that it is a placemat. I'll be shopping for new pillows soon, and I'll have to keep this trick in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it!! That was such a cute idea ;) I actually love making pillows but I totally get what you mean because I definitely have a long list of things that I DON'T like for sure :) Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have only made a few pillows. But I will never look at a placemat the same! Super idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks great there and I like the bird one too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it!!! Such a fab idea and so beautifully executed. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never made a pillow. Cushions and baskets are both rather rare in our home...just one of those things :) I love how clever this is, and so well executed and documented :) It looks perfect with your other cushions, too (of course!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You may have just started something!! It looks wonderful. I have made more pillows over the years than I can count, not my favorite, but better than drapes!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea, your pillows all look so pretty together!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been known to make a bunch of pillows and yet can have the hardest time getting motivated to do it again. Yours is lovely and a great idea. I've used napkins and fabric samples of upholstery fabrics before to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Darling. Just darling. Wish there was such an easy way for me to replace three sofa pillows. So far, I've remade only one of the four. I put the old stuffing into a muslin case first (there wasn't a stuffing-holder inside the pillows that came with the sofa and love seat!), and then created a two-side pillow before sewing them together with a zipper opening and home-made cording around the outside. Just need to do that three more times... in my spare time... Right. Can I borrow you?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great job! What a clever idea to use a placemat!! I enjoy making pillows, mostly because they make great gifts and a great way to try a new technique without committing to an entire quilt. Your new pillow looks great. And you are right - no one will ever notice the bottom edge!

    ReplyDelete